Although siding is usually the main consideration when it comes to your home’s exterior, gutter guards serve a very important purpose as well. They take all of the Colorado Springs rain and melting snow and move it away from your home; placing it at a safe enough distance to keep it from damaging your structure, entering your basement, or ruining your landscape. What do you need to know before picking the right gutter guards for your home? First, it is necessary to understand a bit about the gutters themselves.
Gutters are attached to your fascia using either straps, hangers, or spikes, and they range in width from four to six inches, although five and six inch gutters are the most common. They come in steel, aluminum, vinyl, and copper and you want to choose material that is at least .019 inch thick. They also need to be at just the right slope in order to effectively draw the moisture away from your home and, finally, the gutters need to be appropriately guarded from leaves and other debris out so that the rain can flow seamlessly to the ground below and away from your home.
Gutter Guard Styles
When it comes to gutter guards, there are many styles from which to choose. Here are just a few of the gutter guards Colorado Springs homeowners tend to prefer:
- Screen Gutter Guard. You can cover your gutter with screen or mesh, keeping larger and potentially clogging debris out of the gutter and downspout.
- Solid or Hooded Gutter Guard. This relatively maintenance-free gutter guard option keeps pretty much everything out of your gutter as it covers it up entirely.
- Gutter Filters. Sometimes referred to as “in the gutter” systems, these foam-like filters don’t allow anything other than rain into your gutters, and anything landing on top of them will dry up and be removed by the wind.
- Placing the Gutter Guard Under the Shingles. This is one of the most durable rain gutter options, but it also tends to be slightly more expensive and requires a bit more maintenance.
- Placing the Gutter Guard On the Shingles. Another option chosen by some Colorado Springs residents is to place the gutter guard so that it lies flat on the shingles. Admittedly, it is one of the most difficult to install, but it is also one of the easiest to clean.
Choose a Reputable Gutter Guard Installer
Because gutter guards protect one of your largest investments, your home, it is important to choose a reputable rain gutter installer who understands which gutters and gutter protection systems would work best for you in your area. Additionally, they need to be installed correctly to look their best, as seamless gutters can really add to the appearance of your home.
So, call the Home Improvement Specialists at Seamless Choice at (719) 445-7888 today and schedule your free consultation and estimate.