Many people still have outdated notions on the look and lifetime of metal roofing options. Here are some answers that may help you decide on which style of roof is best for you and your home.
Cost of Metal Roofing
While it is true that the initial cost of a metal roof may be higher than a traditional asphalt roof the savings, in the long run, far outweigh the initial input.
Savings that can be found in:
- Energy efficiency – metal roofs reflect the sun’s rays rather than absorb them, thus lowering your cooling bills in the summer. The layer of sheathing that is put down also offers an extra layer of protection, keeping the warm air in your home in the winter.
- Long lasting roof – commonly known asphalt roofs last about 10-15 years, but metal roofing can last much longer than that, allowing homeowner a worry free roof for many years.
- Reductions in the home insurance premiums – many insurance companies offer incentives with energy efficient upgrades, including your roof. Make sure to call your homeowners insurance company and inquire about these discounts.
- Hail resistant and fire resistant roofing – metal roofs are strong and resilient; they can withstand hail and wind storms without denting, and will not catch fire from stray burning embers; offering more protection for your family and extending the life of your roof.
- Limited lifetime warranty – reputable companies will offer a limited lifetime warranty on your metal roof; even if the house is sold, some warranties will transfer to the new owners.
- Increase house resale value – not having to replace the roof is an important buying point for new owners; this is definitely one place to upgrade if you are thinking of selling your house.
Metal Roof during Storm
Metal roofing is more durable than other types of roofing. This is why they are popular choice for commercial buildings. Speaking of storms, metal roofs do not attract lightning, and they may even help disperse the energy if your home happens to be struck by lightning. Because metal won’t catch fire and it is an electrical conductor, these roofs are made to withstand storms.
It is a common misconception that metal roofs are loud during storms. While this may have been true many years ago, it is no longer the case. When working with licensed contractors, they will ensure that protective sheathing is used, which may actually help reduce the noise made by the wind and rain.
Metal Roof Durability
Metal roofs offer long lasting durability, much longer than traditional asphalt roofing shingles. Made from specially coated galvanized steel panels, then a bonded sealed color coating is added; metal roofs are designed to last for decades.
Just think about it, when you decide on a metal roof this just may be the last roof you ever need to buy. A metal roof is an excellent long-lasting option that offers a variety of color and low maintenance.
Beauty for a Lifetime
There is no reason to sacrifice beauty for durability; metal roofs come in many styles and colors. First choose your style, such as shingle/slate, metal tile, metal shake, or vertical panel.
Steel Shake roofing has deep grooves that give the appearance of a hand-split wood shake roof, while steel shingles give you the traditional look that many people still love and prefer.
The wide variety to choose from ensures that you can find a color to enhance your home’s look. Popular choices are gray, Terra Cota, dark green, black, and brown. Choose the one that is best for you.
The durability of metal roofs also helps resist mold, rust, and streaks that can be problems with asphalt roofs.
Hiring a licensed and insured roofing company is a must! Never believe that you are saving time or money by going with anything less than a reputable source. A professional roofing contractor will come to your home to evaluate the size, style, and pitch of your roof, giving you a quality estimate.
Hiring a local contractor is also recommended, they know the environment and elements that your roof must withstand. Whether it’s extreme heat/ cold, high winds, or threat from burning embers – a local roofing specialist can alleviate your roofing concerns.
Call Seamless Choice Roofing & Siding
Seamless Choice Roofing & Siding is a local Colorado Springs roofing company. Call our trained professionals at (719) 445-7888 now to get more information about your home needs and options available for metal roofing.